Here’s where to catch Vegas on your TV, Aug. 15-21
IN THE SPOTLIGHT (listings are subject to change; and are Pacific time):
- The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (Aug. 15 @ midnight and 11 a.m. on FAMw): YABBA-DABBA VEGAS BABY! What more do you need to know? Just that, and Ann-Margret (you can call her Ann Marg-Rock, thank you very much) sings the theme song, in a playful tribute to her Viva Las Vegas co-star Elvis Presley. Plus a new Fred Flintstone, Vegas-specific catchphrase: “Yabba-Dabba-Dough!”
- Now You See Me (Aug. 15 @ 3 p.m. and Aug. 16 @ 9:30 a.m. on FX): Gallop along with a bunch of magicians known as The Four Horseman, as they pull off mid-performance bank heists and bestow the money on their audiences. Liberally sprinkled with stars — including Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman — this 2013 thriller features a cool Vegas travelogue of scenes filmed the at the Golden Gate hotel-casino, the Fremont Street Experience, the Aria hotel-casino and the Lloyd D. George U.S. Courthouse. Oh — and scenes shot at the Neon Boneyard didn’t make the final theatrical cut, but do show up on the DVD.
- The Hangover Part III (Aug. 15 @ 8 and 11:30 p.m. on FX): All hail the return of the Wolfpack in this 2013 trilogy-ender in which the gang (Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Justin Bartha) try to get off-his-meds Zack Galifianakis back on track with a road trip to You-Know-Where. Bring on the mayhem, dudes.
- Showgirls (Aug. 16 @ 1:45 a.m. on TMC; and Aug. 18 @ midnight on FLIXw): Was it the most notorious stinker about Las Vegas ever made … or the most devilishly clever cult film about Las Vegas ever made? Or both. Read all about it here: Diary of a mad movie.
- Rush Hour 2 (Aug. 16 @ 2: 55 p.m. on HBO2): Cop cutups Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker somehow wind up in our town (don’t ask how) at the “Red Dragon” hotel-casino to solve a counterfeit money laundering scam in this 2001 martial arts laugher-sequel. Guess who played the Red Dragon? The now-defunct Desert Inn, which had already closed before filming began, but was all dressed up in a Chinese-palace theme.
- Swingers (Aug. 16 @ 8 p.m. and Aug. 17 @ 4:35 a.m. on FLIXw; Aug. 19 @ 6:30 a.m. on SHO 2; and Aug. 21 @ 8:15 a.m. on SHO): Not only did this 1996 comedy-drama about single, unemployed L.A. actors catapult Vince Vaughan to stardom, it also catapulted the cast — also including Heather Graham, Ron Livingston and its writer, Jon Favreau — to Vegas for scenes shot at the Stardust on the Strip, and downtown at the Fremont Hotel. Notable cameo: Favreau’s grandma, portraying a lucky gambler at a five-buck blackjack table.
- Bachelor Party Vegas (Aug. 17 @ 4 a.m. on SHO): The title sums it up and It’s as silly as you would expect. Though the cast isn’t exactly star-studded — topped by Kal Penn, Jonathan Bennett, Donald Faison and Vincent Pastore — and the screenwriters toss a casino robbery into the ridiculous plot mix, it does include cameos by our fabulous ex-mayor Oscar B. Goodman, and Kathy Griffin as a “She Elvis” (seriously) impersonator.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Aug. 20 @ 1:15 p.m. on SHO): Need a break from reality? Perhaps some cinematic hallucinations and a thoroughly fractured (if entertaining) perception of Las Vegas is in order as Johnny Depp channels Hunter S. Thompson and Benicio Del Toro is along as his wingman in this drug-saturated adaptation of Thompson’s landmark (and whacked-out) 1971 novel. Ellen Barkin and Gary Busey are among the high-octane cameos. [RELATED:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Behind the Camera]
More Vegas on TV this week:
- The Perfect Murder: Vanished in Vegas (Aug. 15 @ 9 a.m. on Investigation Discovery)
- Flipping Vegas (Aug. 15 @ 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 p.m. and Aug. 16 @ midnight on FYI; and Aug. 17 @ 7 and 8 a.m. on A&E)
- Vegas ER (Aug. 15 @ 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 p.m. on Discovery Life)
- UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz from Las Vegas (Aug. 16 @ midnight on ESPN2)
- UFC 213: Romero vs. Whittaker from Las Vegas (Aug. 17 @ midnight on ESPN2)
- Top This Party: Las Vegas (Aug. 17 @ 10 a.m. on LRW)
- Property Brothers: Hometown Vegas (Aug. 18@ noon on HGTV)
- Vegas Rat Rods (Aug. 19 @ 8 and 11 a.m. on Discovery)
- Friends: The One in Vegas (Part One on Aug. 21 @ 11:30 a.m. on TBS; and Part Two on Aug. 21 @ noon on TBS)
— Steve Bornfeld