Here’s where to catch Vegas on your TV, Aug. 22-28
All listings are subject to change, and are Pacific time. Also check for listed programs on streaming and on-demand services:
IN THE SPOTLIGHT:
- Rain Man (Aug. 22 @ 10:30 a.m. on Sundance): With the possible exception of employees of a certain department store chain that was famously dissed (“Kmart sucks!”), 1988’s Rain Man remains a universally popular comedy-drama road flick. Exceptional performances by Tom Cruise as a callow wheeler-dealer, and Dustin Hoffman as his autistic savant brother light up this gem. As the pair hit Vegas and win big at the blackjack table, look for scenes filmed at Caesars Palace, including the Emperor’s Suite in the Forum Tower, which is still known as “Rain Main Suite.” Other Caesars scenes include those filmed at men’s shopping store Cuzzens, and Cleopatra’s Salon. And for the record: We’re very fond of Kmart.
- National Lampoon’s Vegas Vacation (Aug. 22 @ 9 p.m. and Aug. 23 @ 5 p.m. on AMC): The hapless Griswold family headed by Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo — and featuring those kids who are recast in every movie to play, well, their kids — come to town in this 1997 Vacation series sequel. (Or, being the fourth one, perhaps it’s a “four-quel.”) Scenes were shot at The Mirage (including the Siegfried & Roy show), MGM Grand, the Riviera, the Klondike, the Sands, the Neon Museum, the Fremont Street Experience, the Hoover Dam and Club Paradise. Cameos include: Christie Brinkley, Sid Caesar and Vegas resident/1992 Playboy Playmate of the Year Corinna Harney-Jones, who must endure Chase’s come-on at the blackjack table. Oh — and Wayne Newton and his Casa de Shenandoah estate. Stray tidbit: A highway sign in the flick says Chicago is 1,880 miles from Vegas. Actually, it’s about 1,700. But what’s 180 miles between friends? [RELATED: Vegas Vacation Behind the Camera]
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Aug. 23 @ 2 a.m. on SHO2, and Aug. 24 @ 3:30 p.m. on SHO): Need a break from reality? Perhaps some cinematic hallucinations and a thoroughly fractured (if entertaining) perception of Las Vegas is in order as Johnny Depp channels Hunter S. Thompson and Benicio Del Toro is along as his wingman in this drug-saturated adaptation of Thompson’s landmark (and whacked-out) 1971 novel. Ellen Barkin and Gary Busey are among the high-octane cameos. [RELATED: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Behind the Camera]
- Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous (Aug. 24 @ 8 p.m. and Aug. 25 @ midnight on LMN): Calling this 2005 Sandra Bullock vehicle “silly” is over-praising it (Rotten Tomatoes bestows an abysmal 15 percent approval rating on it). But Vegas clichés at least get a good workout in this slight sequel, especially when William Shatner (at his winking, self-mocking best) is kidnapped and stashed at the ship at Treasure Island, and Bullock, Regina King and Diedrich Bader wind up at a drag club hollering out Tina Turner tunes. We question whether that would make Proud Mary proud.
- Rush Hour 2 (Aug. 24 @ 11:30 p.m. on HBO2): Cop cutups Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker somehow wind up in our town (don’t ask how) at the “Red Dragon” hotel-casino to solve a counterfeit money laundering scam in this 2001 martial arts laugher-sequel. Guess who played the Red Dragon? The now-defunct Desert Inn, which had already closed before filming began, but was all dressed up in a Chinese-palace theme.
- The Boss Baby (Aug. 26 @ 4 p.m. and Aug. 27 @ 1 p.m. on FX): Vegas in a computer-animated 3D comedy about kids? Sure, why not? We frown on letting actual children in casinos, but this is the movies, and in this one, they wind up in a bachelorette party limo and sip some Long Island Iced Tea. Oh, and there’s an Elvis impersonator — naturally. But hey, the kids are pretty much grown-ups in diapers anyway.
- Think Like a Man Too (Aug. 27 @ 9 a.m. and Aug. 28 @ 7 a.m. on FX): Guess what? Another flick in which a Vegas wedding goes off the rails. Original, right? Kevin Hart toplines this one’s cast, which also includes Gabrielle Union, Wendy Williams and Kelsey Grammer, as relationship woes wreak havoc on bachelor and bachelorette blowouts, and a night in the pokey is in the cards. Everywhere you look in this 2014 comic romp — the Forum Shops at Caesars, the Eiffel Tower Restaurant, the Venus Pool Club, Nobu Restaurant, Planet Hollywood — it’s a visual Vegas smorgasbord.
- Showgirls (Aug. 27 @ 11:35 p.m. on FLIXw): Was it the most notorious stinker about Las Vegas ever made … or the most devilishly clever cult film about Las Vegas ever made? Or both. Read all about it here: Diary of a mad movie.
More Vegas on TV this week:
- The New Adventures of Old Christine: What Happens in Vegas is Disgusting in Vegas (Aug. 22 @ 3:10 a.m. on TVLand)
- My Lottery Dream Home: Vegas Dream Home (Aug. 22 @ 8 a.m. on HGTV)
- Flipping Vegas (Aug. 22 @ 1, 4, 5, 8 and 9 p.m., and Aug. 23 @ midnight on FYI; and Aug. 24 @ 8 a.m. on A&E)
- UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor from Las Vegas (Aug. 23 @ midnight on ESPN2)
- UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos from Las Vegas (Aug. 24 @ midnight on ESPN2)
- Pool Kings: Vegas Jackpot Swimming Pool (Aug. 24 @ 4:30 a.m. and Aug. 26 @ 4 p.m. on DIY)
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians: What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas (Aug. 24 @ 5 a.m. on E!)
- Top This Party: Las Vegas (Aug. 24 @ 10 a.m. on LRW)
- Cops: Las Vegas Heat (Aug. 25 @ 10:30 and 11 a.m. on WGN America)
- Malcolm in the Middle: Vegas (Aug. 25 @ 3 p.m. on FUSE)
- Wahlburgers: Viva Paul Vegas (Aug. 26 @ 10 a.m. on FYI)
- American Ninja Warrior: Las Vegas National Finals (Aug. 26 @ 8 p.m. on NBC and Aug. 28 @ 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 p.m. on NBCSN)
- Baby Daddy: What Happens in Vegas (Aug. 28 @ 8:30 a.m. on Freeform)
- Property Brothers: Forever Home Suburban Vegas Upgrade (Aug. 28 @ 1 p.m. on HGTV)
- Property Brothers: Forever Home Dream Home in the Vegas Suburbs (Aug. 28 @ 3 p.m. on HGTV)
- Drugs Inc.: High Stakes Vegas (Aug. 28 @ 4 p.m. on NGC)
- Property Brothers: Forever Home Las Vegas Classic (Aug. 28 @ 6 p.m. on HGTV)
— Steve Bornfeld