IN THE SPOTLIGHT (all listings are subject to change, and are Pacific time):
- Think Like a Man Too (Aug. 8 @ 12:30 a.m. and noon on FXX): Guess what? Another flick in which a Vegas wedding goes off the rails. Original, right? Kevin Hart toplines this one’s cast, which also includes Gabrielle Union, Wendy Williams and Kelsey Grammer, as relationship woes wreak havoc on bachelor and bachelorette blowouts, and a night in the pokey is in the cards. Everywhere you look in this 2014 comic romp — the Forum Shops at Caesars, the Eiffel Tower Restaurant, the Venus Pool Club, Nobu Restaurant, Planet Hollywood — it’s a visual Vegas smorgasbord.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Aug. 8 @ 10:45 p.m. on SHO; and Aug. 9 @ 12:45 p.m. on SHO2): Need a break from reality? Perhaps some cinematic hallucinations and a thoroughly fractured (if entertaining) perception of Las Vegas is in order as Johnny Depp channels Hunter S. Thompson and Benicio Del Toro is along as his wingman in this drug-saturated adaptation of Thompson’s landmark (and whacked-out) 1971 novel. Ellen Barkin and Gary Busey are among the high-octane cameos. [RELATED:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Behind the Camera]
- The Boss Baby (Aug. 8 @ 4 p.m. on FXX; and Aug. 14 @ 4:35 p.m. on FXM): Vegas in a computer-animated 3D comedy about kids? Sure, why not? We frown on letting actual children in casinos, but this is the movies, and in this one, they wind up in a bachelorette party limo and sip some Long Island Iced Tea. Oh, and there’s an Elvis impersonator — naturally. But hey, the kids are pretty much grown-ups in diapers anyway.
- Ocean’s Eleven (Aug. 9 @ 3 p.m. on Freeform) and Ocean’s Thirteen (Aug. 9 @ 8:30 p.m. on Freeform): George Clooney and Brad Pitt (and cronies) inherit the casino-heist business from Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin (and cronies) in what could easily be subtitled “Rat Pack: The Next Generation.” Between the two flicks, catch scenes filmed at the Bellagio, the Palazzo and McCarran International Airport. Oh, and in the sequel, even Al Pacino shows up. Hoo-ah! [RELATED: Oceans Eleven traded Bruce Willis for George Clooney ]
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (Aug. 10 @ 1:50 a.m. on Paramount): Oh Behave! Well, that’s no fun when you’re vacationing in Vegas, is it? But Mike Myers’ orthodontically-challenged spy is all over our town in an absurdist 1997 comic stew that takes us a local tour of spots including the Stardust, the Riviera, the Imperial Palace (now the Linq) and even good ol’ Burt Bacharach, doing his swingin’ cat thing on a double-decker rollin’ down the Strip.
- Showgirls (Aug. 10 @ 3 a.m. on TMC): Was it the most notorious stinker about Las Vegas ever made … or the most devilishly clever cult film about Las Vegas ever made? Or both. Read all about it here: Diary of a mad movie.
- Jason Bourne (Aug. 10 @ 9 a.m. on FX): This Matt Damon spy sequel actually managed to close down the Las Vegas Strip. One look at the car-chase crackup and you can see why. Learn all about it — and how the Nevada Film Office works with top-flight Hollywood productions of all kinds to make the cinematic magic happen — right here: Built by association.
- Godzilla (Aug. 10 @ 3 and 5:30 p.m. on WGN America): Vegas gets stomped by an eight-legged creature called a MUTO (“Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism”) in this 2014 reinvention of the cinematic monster mash. Hey Hollywood, go pick on someone else — Washington, D.C. perhaps. They haven’t had a good movie wipeout since Independence Day.
More Vegas on TV this week:
- The Strongest Man in History: Strongmen Go to Vegas (Aug. 8 @ 1:06 and 3:06 a.m., and Aug. 14 @ 10 a.m. on HISTW)
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (Aug. 8, 9, 12, 13 and 14 @ 6 a.m. on USA; and Aug. 8 @ 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. on SYFY)
- Pawn Stars (Aug. 8 @ 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m., HISTW)
- Bar Rescue: Beer and Loathing in Las Vegas (Aug. 8 @ 11 a.m. on Paramount)
- Flipping Vegas (Aug. 8 @ 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, and 9 p.m., and Aug. 9 @ midnight on FYI; and Aug. 10 @ 7 and 8 a.m. on A&E)
- American Ninja Warrior: Las Vegas Finals (Aug. 8 @ 3 and 4 p.m., and Aug. 14 @ 11 a.m. and 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 p.m. on NBCSN)
- Vegas ER (Aug. 8 @ 5, 6, 7, 9 and 11 p.m. on Discovery Life)
- My Lottery Dream Home: The Dream Begins in Vegas (Aug. 9 @ 5:30 p.m. on HGTV)
- Paranormal State: Vegas (Aug. 10 @ 10 a.m. on FYI)
- Top This Party: Las Vegas (Aug. 10 @ 10 a.m. on LRW)
- Street Outlaws: Fear and Gloating in Las Vegas (Aug. 12 @ 11 a.m. on Discovery)
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians: Vegas, Baby! (Aug. 12 @ 11 a.m. on E!)
- America Says: Team Vegas vs. 80s Band (Aug. 12 @ 1:30 p.m. on GSN)
- Pool Kings: Vegas Jackpot Swimming Pool (Aug. 12 @ 3:30 p.m. on DIY)
- Mecum Auto Auctions: Muscle Cars & More, Las Vegas (Aug. 13 @ 4 and 7 p.m. on NBCSN)
- Storage Wars: Vegas Shrugged (Aug. 14 @ 7 p.m. on FYI)
— Steve Bornfeld