Here’s where to catch Vegas on your TV, Sept. 13-19
All listings are subject to change, and are Pacific time. Also check for listed programs on streaming and on-demand services:
- Swingers (Sept. 13 @ 11:35 a.m. on TMC; and Sept. 14 @ 3 p.m. and Sept. Sept. 19 @ 8 p.m. on FLIXW): Not only did this 1996 comedy-drama about single, unemployed L.A. actors catapult Vince Vaughn to stardom, it also catapulted the cast — also including Heather Graham, Ron Livingston and its writer, Jon Favreau — to Vegas for scenes shot at the Stardust on the Strip, and downtown at the Fremont Hotel. Notable cameo: Favreau’s grandma, portraying a lucky gambler at a five-buck blackjack table.
- The Boss Baby (Sept. 13 @ 4 p.m. and Sept. 14 @ 2 p.m. on FX): Vegas in a computer-animated 3D comedy about kids? Sure, why not? We frown on letting actual children in casinos, but this is the movies, and in this one, they wind up in a bachelorette party limo and sip some Long Island Iced Tea. Oh, and there’s an Elvis impersonator — naturally. But hey, the kids are pretty much grown-ups in diapers anyway.
- Godzilla (Sept. 15 @ 8 p.m. and Sept. 16 @ 1:32 a.m. on A&E): What did we ever do to tick off Hollywood? They destroy us in the 2014 reinvention of Godzilla. Hey Hollywood, go pick on someone else — Washington, D.C. perhaps. They haven’t had a good movie wipeout since Independence Day.
- Bachelor Party Vegas (Sept. 15 @ 11:45 p.m. on TMC and Sept. 19 @ 9:45 p.m. on FLIXW): The title sums it up and it’s as silly as you would expect. Though the cast isn’t exactly star-studded — topped by Kal Penn, Jonathan Bennett, Donald Faison and Vincent Pastore — and the screenwriters toss a casino robbery into the ridiculous plot mix, this 2006 trifle does include cameos by our fabulous ex-mayor Oscar B. Goodman, and Kathy Griffin as a “She Elvis” (seriously) impersonator.
- Independence Day (Sept. 16 @ 6 p.m. and Sept. 17 @ 2 p.m. on AMC): “Kick the tires and light the fires, Big Daddy!” — so sayeth Harry Connick Jr.’s hotshot pilot, who winds up as sky-high roadkill in this campy 1996 defend-the-planet blockbuster, which features scenes set in our own Area 51. Here’s some trivial trivia on that: In the briefing room scene, a night vision pan shot of the base is an actual photo taken by a conspiracy theorist at “Freedom Ridge,” an area no longer accessible to the public. Why? … The truth is out there. (Oh wait, that’s from some paranoid alien-conspiracy show, isn’t it?)
- The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (Sept. 18 @ 11:15 a.m. and Sept. 19 @ 6:30 a.m. on IFC): In this 2013 Strip-magicians-at-war comedy, marquee prestidigitators played by Steve Carrell and Steve Buscemi (and partially based on Siegfried & Roy) take on an aggressive, hipster challenger practicing a danger-brand of street magic, played by Jim Carrey (partly based on Criss Angel). MGM magic maven David Copperfield served as a film advisor and shared a few confidential secrets with the filmmakers —for which they had to sign secrecy contracts. Look for scenes shot at Bally’s Las Vegas, Caesars Palace, Paris Las Vegas, Fremont Street, Binion’s Gambling Hall and exterior shots up and down both the Strip and Downtown Las Vegas.
- The Hangover (Sept. 18 @ 7 and 11:45 p.m. on AMC): Cinematically speaking, our city is still hung over from The Hangover, the raucous 2009 comedy about a missing groom and a bachelor party gone off the rails that is a veritable Vegas smorgasbord. Bradley Cooper, Zack Galifanakis and and Heather Graham (as a stripper/escort, of course) topline this Strip joyride that gives us such sights as a tiger in a bathroom, a chicken in a living room, a baby in a closet, a mattress impaled on a Caesars Palace statue and a naked man in the trunk of a Mercedes. … Oh, and Mike Tyson. More, you say? Read BEHIND THE CAMERA: Caesars Palace, Lindsay Lohan’s boo-boo and an embarrassed actor part of ‘The Hangover’ legacy
More Vegas on TV this week:
- Various NASCAR/Las Vegas coverage (Sept. 13-19 on NBCSN and FS1; check listings for times)
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (Sept. 13 @ 6:30 a.m. and Sept. 14, 16, 17 and 19 @ 6 a.m. on USA; and Sept. 19 @ 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on SYFY)
- American Ninja Warrior: Las Vegas National Finals (Sept. 13 and Sept. 16 @ 8 p.m. on NBC; Sept. 19 @ 3-5 p.m. on NBCSN)
- Flipping Vegas (Sept. 14 @ 7-9 a.m. on A&E; and Sept. 19 @ 1, 2, 4, 7, 8 and 11 p.m. on FYI)
- Top This Party: Las Vegas(Sept. 14 @ 10 a.m. on LRW)
- Property Brothers: Hometown Vegas (Sept. 14 @ 7 p.m. on HGTV)
- Vegas Mafia (Sept. 14 @ 11 p.m. on National Geographic)
- Property Brothers: Forever Home, Dream Home in the Vegas Suburbs (Sept. 15 @ 8 a.m. on HGTV)
- Property Brothers: Suburban Vegas Upgrade (Sept. 15 @ 10 a.m. on HGTV)
- Property Brothers: Las Vegas Classic (Sept. 15 @ noon on HGTV)
- Vegas ER (Sept. 16 @ 6-9 a.m. on Discovery Life)
- Friends: The One in Vegas (Sept. 17 @ 3 p.m. on TBS)
- Hypnotize Me: Vegas (Sept. 18 @ 9 p.m. on CW)
- Botched: Viva Las Vegas Boobs (Sept. 19 @ 9 a.m. on E!)
- Pawn Stars (Sept. 19 @ 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. on HISTW)
— Steve Bornfeld